Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 2002 11:16:15 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        budsz <budsz@kumprang.or.id>
Cc:        FBSDQ <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How kill Zombie

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, budsz wrote:

> >    1. kill the parent process.
> >    2. fix the code in the parent process to clean up after itself.
>
> Thx be 4
>
> If I choise no 1 options of couse I must kill qmail parent process
> that's impossible :-), Options no 2 maybe I choise but how..? I only
> change qmail-queue to qmail-queue-real then I copy
> /usr/local/sbin/amavis to /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue that all.
> when I recofiguration with old config..zombie appeare.
> Have any suggestion for this case? maybe you've experience with amavis
> perl + qmail.

Keep in mind that if you have a busy server, there can be a considerable delay
between the time the process exit(2) and the time the parent calls wait(2).
In that window of time, the process shows up as zombie. Once the parent
calls wait(2), it gets cleaned up.

If you only see one zombie, and each time you see it, you see its PID is
different, don't worry about it.

				Fer