Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:49:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Paul Kupfer <kupfer@ldc.upenn.edu>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   du and df discrepancy

I am seeing a very odd problem on a FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #0 mail server
we have.  We originally had a separate scsi device mounted as /var/mail
(note this was underneath the mountpoint for /var).  We reached a point
where space on /var was running out, and running a df on that volume would
show that there was only 160M out of 5.8G available (and 5.2G used).

So I ran "du -hc /var" to see where I could remove some old files.  du
output shows the total of /var to be 311M, which is vastly different than
what du tells me.  I thought that this was perhaps a result of the way we
had things mounted, and so I unmount the /var/mail device and remounted it
as /mail, then put a symlink from /mail to /var/mail, still no dice, same
results.

I have not rebooted the machine yet (was hoping I wouldn't have to  since
it is a mail server).  Is it possible that the inode tables are "out of
whack" since changing these mountpoints, perhaps an fsck?  Anyone ever
seen anything like this before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Paul-