Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 1995 12:26:52 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        yzalkow@birch.ee.vt.edu (Yuval Zalkow)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to update from 2.0R to 2.0.5R

Yuval Zalkow stands accused of saying:
> Hello,

Greetings.  Perhaps that should be G'day...

> 	Can someone tell me the best way to upgrade my system from 2.0R to
> 2.0.5R?  I have a pretty standard 2.0R install.  All of my user and locally
> made programs are in seperate directories.

Sensible move.

> I want NOT to reformat both
> hard drives and start from scratch installing.  I tried to download the
> entire source tree 2.0.5R and compile it to install the new version, but
> that didn't work -- I ran into many compile problems with things like constants

Um. Despite the continual stream of postings and mailing list traffic
saying _don't_bother_it_doesn't_work_?

> and headers not found.  So far, I haven't been having much success.  Any good
> insights into this problem would be helpful.  I don't have a fast connection
> to the net, only a 14.4Kbps modem SLIP connection through school.  I have a

That's plenty.  If you just install a small system to begin with and bring
stuff in a little at a time, you'll be fine.

> bunch of other machines on a local network, which can do NFS, but its a
> painfully slow NFS -- through OS/2.  Last time I tried it under Linux served
> NFS, it didn't too well either.  I haven't had much luck with the install

Linux' NFS is crap.  If you have an OS/2 box on your local network running
TCP/IP, use it to route your SLIP link to ethernet, and do an FTP
install.

> program in 2.0.  So basically, what is the best route to take in order to
> upgrade the system from 2.0R to 2.0.5R?

(First a quick question; do you have more than one disk? If so, some
of the below may be modified to make things easier)

1) MAKE A FULL BACKUP OF EVERYTHING.  I mean it.  If you screw up, you will
   be _very_ sorry.

2) Make _copious_ notes on your filesystem geometries.  Disk geometry (real,
   BIOS, FreeBSD ideas), partition sizes, placements, all that jazz.
   Chances are, you won't need them, but you might.

3) Fire up the install floppy, and have a look at what it thinks of
   your partition table and disklabel.  If you're in luck, it
   will have recognised your 2.0R setup, and all will be well. You
   should leave the slice editor alone (mark the FreeBSD partition as
   bootable, for sanity's sake), and wander into the partition editor.

4) In the partition editor, go through the list of partitions it's found
   in your FreeBSD slice, and nominate mount points for all of them.
   Mark the / and /usr partitions as 'yes' for newfsing, but none of
   the others.

5) Nominate an FTP install using your ethernet card (if you're working as
   above), and just fetch the base, manpages and compat20 distributions.
   Once you're up and going, you can fetch other bits as you need them.

> 	Secondly, after I get the system up to 2.0.5R, will I have to recompile
> all my utilties I made under 2.0R?

Not if you install the compat20 distribution, as above.

> 	I guess lastly, I have problems with using the lnc driver for networks.

Can't help you with that one, sorry.

> Chris Inacio

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[