Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 15:49:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gre7g Luterman <gre7g@wolfhome.com>
Subject:   Strange nosuid-like error

I set up my webserver back when I knew very little about FreeBSD (or
Linux, for that matter).  I'm not feeling like I know much now, but that
is beside the point.  Back when I set it up, I stupidly put everything in
a single partition.  The system has been running fine, but we keep bumping
our heads on some sort of nosuid error.  Here's the test I ran to verify
what is (not) happening:

$ ls -l test.*
-rwsr-xr-x  1 root   wheel     24 Apr  5 10:57 test.sh
-r-x------  1 root   wheel      4 Apr  5 10:28 test.txt

# cat test.txt
It works!

# cat test.sh
#!/bin/sh
cat test.txt

$ ./test.sh
cat: test.txt: Permission denied

As you can see, test.sh is not doing the suid to root like I asked it to,
or it would have been able to read test.txt.

What really puzzles me is that there is no nosuid in my /etc/fstab!

$ cat /etc/fstab
# Device       Mountpoint    FStype    Options       Dump    Pass#
/dev/ad0s1b    none          swap      sw            0       0
/dev/ad0s1a    /             ufs       rw            1       1
/dev/acd0c     /cdrom        cd9660    ro,noauto     0       0
proc           /proc         procfs    rw            0       0

Does anyone know what the heck is going on?  Why can't programs
suid?  What should I change in /etc/fstab?  How do I remount /devv/ad0s1a
with the proper privileges?  Is there anything I can do without
repartitioning!?!

All help appreciated!
Gre7g.