Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2023 12:57:14 +0100
From:      Frank Leonhardt <freebsd-doc@fjl.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mount bzip2 disk image

On 13/09/2023 09:56, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

> I've got a bzip2-compressed quite big HD image. Is there a way to
> mount it (read-only) without uncompressing it first? I don't care
> about performance as I only need to recover a single file.
> Uncompressing it would probably take days, provided enough space is
> available (which I'm not sure is the case).
>
> The idea would be:
> _ mdconfig -a -f xxx.img.bz2
> _ .... use something over /dev/md0 to get /dev/xxx
> _ mount /dev/xxxp4 /mnt/tmp.
>
> Does such a thing exist?

Such a thing does exist, sort-of. It's the GEOM_UZIP driver from FreeBSD
13 onwards. However I'm pretty sure it only works in images compressed
by its own mkuzip utility (and that doesn't include bzip2 having just
RTFM). Never tried it myself.

If you unpack it to a ZFS dataset with compression enabled, the
compression ZFS uses is pretty good so you might find that the disk
space isn't the problem you think it might be. In other words, if you
put xxx.img.bz2 on to tape and unpack it as a stream to a disk file it
may use about the same as having the file online.

ZFS dataset compression has persuaded me to not bother with file-level
compression formats for many years - a PITA eliminated. If your tape
handler does compression (most do) then everything is compressed for
free and you never have to worry about the format.

Regards, Frank.