Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:33:49 +0100
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
To:        Seth Kingsley <sethk@meowfishies.com>
Cc:        Alan DuBoff <aland@softorchestra.com>, Mitch Collinsworth <mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: want advice

On Oct 26, Seth Kingsley <sethk@meowfishies.com> wrote:

> [Moved to -chat]

You know, I just love it when people move their flamewars onto -chat. Of
course, that's what it's here for. Not for like, you know, off-topic
discussion. No, it's here to humiliate others in public. Terrific! :-)
=20
> One of the things that I most admire about Open-Source developers,
> especially those involved with the FreeBSD project, is humility.  You
> seem to be lacking in this quality, in addition to tactfulness.  So
> basically what you're trying to prove is that you're uncommunicative and
> don't work well in groups?

I have to say, you're not showing yourself to be particularly tactful
either. As for FreeBSD-geeks being full of humility, well... I'd say the
majority I've met were full of pies and dope (i.e. fat and stoned).
Therefore, perhaps they're just dozy (after eating all the pies), and a bit
stoned. Is that *really* humility?

Aren't steretypes GREAT!? When you can't win an argument through any other
means, just show that the person you're arguing with doesn't fit into your
stereotypical view of the community they consider themselves to be a part
of, thereby 'excluding' them. Nice work.
=20
> Now you're attacking the respondent based purely on his email address?

About as justifiable as choosing not to employ somebody or deem somebody
unemployable based on the content of a few e-mails.

> And when did this become a personal advertisement?  You seem to be on a
> personal crusade to prove that your experience and conviction outweigh
> having no credientials; this is a noble cause, but you're going about it
> in completely the wrong way.

That may very well be the case, but I don't see how your response will help
him become more communicative, or indeed employable. Perhaps some
constructive commentary would have been a little more helpful. At this
point, I would say that you as somebody who is prepared to lambast, bring
others needlessly into the argument (moving it to -chat), and being
generally obnoxious and as a result would be completely and wholly
unemployable by any organisation I was part of. Not nice when people make
judgements like that about you based on a few hundred words is it?

I suggest that this discussion goes on off-list as it is no doubt about to
turn into one hell of a flamefest. You're all gagging for an argument, but
with all of the debate on here in recent weeks, I'm all argued out. :-)