Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 18:27:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Mark A. Pitman" <mark@ePitman.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Making Gabber from the ports collection

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:33:41 -0700 (MST)
> > From: "Mark A. Pitman" <mark@ePitman.com>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> >
> > I have been trying to compile Gabber from the ports collection
> > (/usr/ports/net/gabber) on FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE. The ports collection I
> > have installed is from the CD. I tried using the current ports, but I had
> > even more troubles with that.
> >
> > I got to a point where it was looking for gnomemm.3 and could not find it.
> > I solved that by creating a symlink from libgnomemm.so.4 to
> > libgnomemm.so.3. Now I am getting the following errors:
> >
> [errors omitted]
>
> You really need to update your ports collection. gabber is a tool that
> gets LOTS of fixes and running such an old version, even it it built,
> would likely be painful.
>
> Looks like /usr/ports/converters/iconv is also missing, but I suspect
> that an upgrade to the current port would do the trick.

You were right, the iconv port was not installed. I would have thought the
gabber port would have known to install it, like it did with everything
else that was needed. After installing it, gabber compiled fine. So, what
is the best way to keep up to date with ports? Download the tarball every
so often, or use cvsup? Also, if I am going to track the CURRENT version
of ports, do I need to also track FreeBSD-CURRENT?