Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 20:08:52 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Peter van Heusden <pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Moving ahead with LDAP

After a frustrating meeting with a local PHB, I've decided to try and put
some more structured involvement into making FreeBSD easily manageable via
a browser-like UI (as discussed on freebsd-hackers 2 months ago under the
subject 'Adding a new user interface to FreeBSD'). As discussed then, LDAP
might be a good tool to store configuration info in.

The existing port of the UMich LDAP server, is, however sadly inadaquate.
I have applied all patches I know of (Terry Lambert's collection from
Critical Angle and elsewhere, as well as the patches forthcoming from
freebsd-hackers), and created an updated port including the patches
(and notified past (and possible future) port maintainers) but that still
leaves UMich LDAP at LDAP v.2.

Thus, I am interested in knowing who might want to work on moving ahead
with better LDAP support on FreeBSD, with the intention of putting
together and implementing a plan to get working LDAP v.3.

So, who is interested?

Peter
--
Peter van Heusden |    Its the 90's, and collective action is STILL cool!
pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za | Get active in your union today!