Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:52:51 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Peter B <pb@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT: Adaptec19160 jumper question.

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 23:39:26 +0200, Peter B wrote:

>        Hi!
>
> I have a Adaptec 19160 PCI U160 Adaptec card and after reading all adaptec docs
> and ahc(4) I don't see any mention what the two jumpers on the card are for..
> I have my guesses but I thought if someone knows for sure?

They're probably for a hard drive activity LED.

Most Adaptec SCSI boards have four pins at the top of the board in the back
(opposite from the L-bracket that screws into your case) that are for
hooking up an LED.

If you download the user's guide, and look on page 16 (page 22 in the PDF
file), you'll see a mention of the LED connector:

http://www.adaptec.com/pdfs/user_guides/19160_users_reference.pdf

Most LED connectors in cases are only two pins, and since diodes only work
in one direction, you have to generally try it out to see which direction
will make it light up.

> (I thought PCI cards was going to obsolete jumpers.. :-)

Only for configuration.  :)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry