Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2012 14:51:04 -0400
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhellenthal@dataix.net>
To:        Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, "Simon L. B. Nielsen" <simon@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pull in upstream before 9.1 code freeze?

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 10:01:04AM -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Simon L. B. Nielsen <simon@freebsd.org> wrote:

> >> You've got a deal!
> >>
> >> Unbound requires ldns, which is a good thing. Part of this project would
> >
> > How's the security support for ldns / unbound? For third party
> > software sitting in the 'frontline' that part is rather important.
> >
> >> also be to enable drill so that we have a command-line dns lookup tool
> >> in the base, but that's trivial once you've got ldns imported.
> >
> > Does that means loosing host(1) ? That would be somewhat annoying.
>
> There's a version of host based on unbound.  At least, there's an
> unbound-host package for Debian Linux:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=unbound-host

What would be really nice here is a command wrapper hooked into the
shell so that when you type a command and it does not exist it presents
you with a question for suggestions to install somewhat like Fedora has
done.

You type nmap in the root shell and it will ask you if you would like to
install it.

With that said, given this is FreeBSD, it could offer ...

Would you like to install base package [y/N] ?: N
Would you like to install ports package [y/N] ?: N
Would you like to compile this from ports [y/N] ?: Y

You have these options available:
1) BIND
2) LDNS
3) DJBDNS

Which would you like [0-3]:

I entirely dislike the idea of including something other than bind-tools
within base that are installed, but fully support the idea of providing
a way to allow the user to install a "base package" one that is meant to
install into the base system and have as many as are seen suited to
support the community.

I currently buildworld WITHOUT_BIND and use bind from ports and cannot
justify the time to go through learning/using another instance or at
least at this time when BIND has been perfect for everything I needed to
do.

--