Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 2015 22:27:44 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's in my hard drive? How can I get rid of it?

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:24:11 -0500, kpneal@pobox.com wrote:
>http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/ken/trust.html

When I was young we cracked copying protections and removed bugs from
the broken assembler code of software we pay for. If we wouldn't have
cracked the copy protection, it would have damaged our floppy disks
(Commodore 1541 bump, with later disks using a light barrier, it was
impossible to load the copy protected software, we needed to remove the
light barrier and/or crack the copy protection) and if we wouldn't have
fixed the bugs, the software wouldn't have worked.

That was a note about the "criminal" hackers from my generation and now
a note about the "criminal" hackers about the current generation.

Guerilla Open Access Manifesto:
https://archive.org/stream/GuerillaOpenAccessManifesto/Goamjuly2008_djvu.txt

IOW it's an ethical decision. I never read a diary of somebody else,
just because I was able to do it. Cracking software we pay for, that
doesn't work and/or will damage our hardware, hacking for social
commitment are good ethical reasons.

Schadenfreude and greed are bad.