Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:33:36 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@freebsd-services.com>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mktime() doesn't fix deadzones...

Hi,

I've cc'd -standards as I think this would be of interest there.

IMHO the SQL code you quote in the PR should fail with an ``invalid
time'' error.

Personally I like the fact that mktime() returns -1 - it allows
date's -v option to act sanely, although I must admit it was a PITA
to get right.

The really big question is, how can you ``fix'' mktime() ?

If a value of 2002-4-7 2:0:0.0 becomes 2002-4-7 3:0:0.0 PDT, then
you can deduce that 2 == 3 and go on to deduce other equally
bizarre things....  Thinking about it makes my head hurt !

--
Brian <brian@freebsd-services.com>                <brian@Awfulhak.org>
      http://www.freebsd-services.com/        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>