Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 05:50:27 -0600
From:      "GB" <gregbrooks@blue-mouse.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How do I change host/domain of a FreeBSD box?

(Repost from a couple of days ago... no response earlier, and I haven't
been able to solve the issue myself, despite some fiddling with it.)

I need to change the host name and domain of my FreeBSD box. Elements of
the current configuration:

* djbdns installed but NOT configured or started (other than setting up
the user accounts to eventually access it).

* Ditto for apache, PHP, Perl 5.6.1, sendmail and mysql.

I tried simply changing things in /etc/rc.conf... ended up with a
machine that would boot, but apache said it couldn't resolve the local
host name during startup (odd, since I hadn't configured apache, merely
installed it) and the machine ran as slow as molasses. Should I make
changes elsewhere as well?

This is a brand new install, and we just decided to run it under a
different host/domain for administrative reasons.)

Many thanks,
Greg B.