Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 1995 07:56:32 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, j@uriah.sax.de
Subject:   Re: Never mind on the "mcopy busy"

>I've noticed that FreeBSD 2's flock() is binary incompatible with
>FreeBSD 1.1.5's.  My older copy of elm refuses to work now under 2.0,
>i get an `flock: invalid argument'.

`struct flock' starts with an off_t, so the struct is totally
incompatible with the 1.1.5 version.

>I hope it isn't intention for FreeBSD 2 to be binary incompatible to
>its ancestors? :-/

The change of `struct stat' due to fatter off_t's and other features is
handled by having completely new syscalls for stat, fstat and lstat.
Apparently the problem with struct flock was overlooked.

Bruce