Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 20:38:25 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: idletime disconnect won't work

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> - hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis):
>
> | Anyway, in case you get CRC errors every time this messages are
> | exchanged, i still suspect something is wrong with your local
> | electrical ISDN setup, such as cabling and/or termination.
>
> Yes, but if something physical is wrong, should I not get a lot more
> CRC errors when there is more traffic on the bus?  Instead, I get
> none.

I think there may be somthing more systematic about this.  A friend of
mine (who has an ISDN line from CCL (the local cable TV company)) gets
these CRC errors (but i4b otherwise works fine for him).  My ISDN line is
provided by BT, and I do not see CRC errors.  With BISDN, it was notable
that the CCL lines gave frequent TEI-Check-Request messages, wheras the BT
line hardly ever used Check-Request except at startup.

This was observed with an older i4b (before the recent lower-layer
rework); if the CCL lines still behave oddly with the latest release, I
will try to get hold of some more info.