Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 1997 00:50:02 -0700
From:      un_x@anchorage.net
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: /dev/wd0

> > >         # cd /dev
> > >         # ./MAKEDEV all

> > nope.  just tried it.  my FS is READ-ONLY.  mknod can't write to it.
> > i don't understand - why is there 2 devices for a HD?
> > ie - wd AND rwd ... ?

> Can you not remount your drive read/write:
>         mount -w /

thanks!  that just about did it!  i had to:

mount -w /
cd /dev
./MAKEDEV wd0 (MAKEDEV griped - it couldn't find chgrp, chown, ...)
./MAKEDEV wd0s1f
./MAKEDEV wd0s1e
etc ...  the partition slices aren't made automatically ...
you saved my day (week :)!

> The 'r' means raw.  It's an unbuffered character device, whereas
> the non'r' one is a buffered block device.

hmmm.  i didn't know drives had "character" io :)
i guess it's a "character blocking" mode driver.
layered on top of the pure "block" mode driver.