Date:      Tue, 8 Feb 2000 10:57:15 -0800
From:      "Scott Hess" <scott@avantgo.com>
To:        "Walter Brameld" <brameld@twave.net>, "John" <freebsd-root@i-zone.demon.co.uk>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: celeron-smp slow?

Add 'async' to the options section of /etc/fstab.  Where it was probably
just 'rw', now it would be 'rw,async'.

WARNING:  Async means that if the computer crashes or the power fails, you
are much more likely to have fsck problems on reboot.  FreeBSD by default
wants to force writes of metadata (information about a file) to disk before
proceeding, whereas the data in the file can be written out of order as
needed to make things efficient.  Mounting async means that data and
metadata is all written in the most efficient manner - but it also means
that metadata may be written out of order or not at all if there is a
panic.

Put another way, if you don't know what the async option does, you probably
shouldn't use it.

[Put yet _another_ way... Linux filesystems mount async by default, and you
don't hear alot of hue and cry about that.  What's the worst that could
happen?  You'll have to reinstall your system, which might not be that big
of a deal.]

Later,
scott