Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 18:46:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        karl@mcs.net (Karl Denninger)
Cc:        spork@super-g.com, dg@root.com, tqbf@enteract.com, karl@mcs.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Blacklisting and being "asked" to deinstall FreeBSD - you heard that right!

> But I thought you should know that the response of the core team is to these
> kinds of issues.
>
> A parallel code track will be online within a few days for those who believe
> that THIS kind of response is unwarranted under ANY circumstances.

Ugh.  I hate this.  I have to ask the question:

	How will you organize, such that you don't eventually end
	up in the exact same boat, with just the names on the
	crew's quarters changed?

I believe this is an organizational problem, and I have yet to see
anyone *do* anything about it, other than threaten to reiterate it
by starting a parallel code track.  Sometimes they follow through
on their threats.  Mostly, they don't think of starting someting
non-parallel because their thinking is already constrained by the
organization they are splintering from.  Sort of a "parting gift".

Now I have to ask:

	Why start your own parallel code track?  What is wrong
	with the parallel code track OpenBSD is running?

Now I have to play scientist:

	i	Run an experiment (386BSD).  Note that it results
		in splinter organizations because the structure of
		the organization can't equitably reconcile dissent.

	ii	Run it again (NetBSD).  Note that it results in
		splinter organizations because the structure of
		the organization can't equitably reconcile dissent.

	iii	Run it again (FreeBSD). ...

	iv	Run it again (OpenBSD). ...

	v	Now run it again, only run it several times in
		parallel, with the inter-group synchronization
		happening at a (miraculously) agreed upon mutex.
		Call this mutex "Linus_Torvalds" because it's
		easy to spell.  Note that running it in parallel
		delays, but does not prevent, the inevitable
		results.  Call the splinter organizations "Red Hat"
		and other colorful names.  Like "Lignux".

And then ask from the perspective this provides:

	What value is in running the experiment a sixth time?  Is
	it reasonable to expect the results to be any different from
	the other five times it was run?  Is the only value in the
	commemorative life preserver you get, the one with the new
	boat's name proudly stenciled around its rim?

If every time you start a game of Conway's "life", you start from
an arrangement that gives you a "traffic light", then restarting
the game from the same initial conditions with the same rules is
bound to result in another "traffic light".  You don't have to be
Conway himself to figure this out, any more than you have to be
Newton to predict that when you drop a rock, it won't hang there
in the air "in very much the same way a brick doesn't".  Since you
can't change the initial conditions (free software groups agregate
for the same reasons free software groups have always agregated),
then the only thing you have to work with is the rules.

Before you go off on a half-cocked "New Reformed Church Of XXX"
crusade, think twice about this.

Then if you are still intent on doing it, think a third time about
HOW you are going to do it, and HOW you are going to prevent the same
inequities, so someone doesn't start the same crusade against you some
day because your similarly structured organization of similarly
minded people ends up running the social automaton to the same steady
state.

Then delay implementation until you've addressed all of the issues
your thinking has raised, or you will find yourself in the Captain's
cabin with a bottle of rum wondering "how did things turn out this
way?".

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org