Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 2008 11:23:23 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com>
Cc:        Lars Kristiansen <lars@adventuras.no>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND DNS Patching on 6.1, 6.2

--------------enigB213FEB4252EFCE691C74956

Grant Peel wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> Thanks to Lars I have come up with the following (to upgrade BIND for=20
> the DNS caching issue)...(short of updateing all source).
>=20
> Download the latest port BIND95.9.5.x (p2 I think),

9.5.0.2 -- correct.
=20
> Extract it to the ports directory,
>=20
> make -DWITH_REPLACE_BASE

You should get an OPTIONS dialogue here which will allow you to achieve
the  required result.  Use 'make config' to force the issue if necessary.=

> make install
> make clean
>=20
> Is the above correct?

Yes, that will work just fine.
=20
> Also,
>=20
> Will the installation leave all my current (BIND) configs alone?

It will not trash /etc/namedb/named.conf -- actually, I think it won't
touch anything under /etc/namedb so it should 'just work' with your
existing configuration.  Remember to remove any 'port 53' clauses from
'query source' statements in named.conf or this will all have been for=20
nothing.

If you're going to do the 'REPLACE_BASE' thing, then you should add
=20
WITHOUT_BIND=3Dyes

to /etc/make.conf (/etc/src.conf in 7.x and above) -- otherwise you'll
revert to the system version of BIND whenever you update.  There are
half a dozen BIND related make flags that you can pick and choose from if=

you want finer control.

Alternatively, you can leave the base system as-is, install the port
under /usr/local as usual, and just use variables like the following in=20
/etc/rc.conf:

named_enable=3D"YES"
named_program=3D"/usr/local/sbin/named"
named_flags=3D"-c /etc/namedb/named.conf"

This means you'll run named-2.5.0.2 from the port (which is the important=
=20
bit) but unless you fiddle with your $PATH, you'll tend to get all the=20
adjunct programs like dig, host, rndc from the base system.

Either way, it should all be pretty seamless.  Which way you choose is a =
matter of taste and convenience rather than necessity.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3