Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 23:52:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Jan Koum <jkb@ethereal.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Displacement of Blame[tm]

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Brett Glass wrote:

> Let's be fair. They're not idiots, and I think we can help them (and
> ourselves)  at least a little. At the very least, we should make sure
> that people who try to count bugs automatically by monitoring Bugtraq
> posts do not attribute bugs in ported software to FreeBSD.

Brett,

When the figures came out, a number of members of the FreeBSD development
team contacted the folks at Security Focus and met with a very positive
and understanding response.  One thing that will make a difference in the
accounting of security advisory rate is our recent subject change, making
it easy for the gatherers of statistics to distinguish the types of
advisories.  I think you can rest assured that we maintain a positive
working relationship with Security Focus and endeavour to provide accurate
reports to them of security issues in FreeBSD, as well as help them
maintain their high level of accuracy in their reporting of security
issues and incidents.

One aspect of security education for our users needs to be learning to
distinguish "lots of advisories" with "lots of holes".  If your customers
are in doubt, explain to them that these holes existing in many of not all
of the other free operating systems.  Just as we have educated our users
about the benefits of open source, we can help them understand the
admittedly complex technical and social issues associated with computer
security.  Yes, there may be an up-front reaction against "tell everyone
about the security problems of the world," but maybe that reaction is a
lot like the, "open source software is unreliable and unsupported."

  Robert N M Watson