Date:      Sat, 04 Jan 2003 13:32:02 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <clsn@raggedclown.net>, FreeBSD Chat <FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: In the land of the blind a one eyed man becomes king

At 01:15 PM 1/4/2003, Cliff Sarginson wrote:

>A Norwegian, I think he goes by the name of Linus (or is that the dog
>in .. Peanuts).

Linus Torvalds is Finnish, not Norwegian. And the dog in the
Peanuts comic strip is named Snoopy.

>He was a brilliant student.

Actually, his grades were OK but not outstanding. And he was
known to fall asleep in class now and then.

>He took a small project, invented to teach
>students operating systems principles and created Linux.

That's correct. Linux is a derivative work of Minix. Which means
that, Andrew Tannenbaum, the author of Minix, has rights to it
(though he's never exercised them).

>GCC has been intimately involved, because it contains (now) language
>constructs that are not found in "Muppets can Learn C in 24 Hours
>Books". It has things in it to make writing device drivers easier.

Exactly. Embrace and extend. When Microsoft does it, it's "evil,"
but when the FSF does it, it's OK. (Not!)

>> Secondly, the FreeBSD project is insufficiently vigilant regarding
>> the issue of dependency on GPLed code. Of the BSDs, FreeBSD
>> has the most GPLed code, and would be the most crippled if
>> that code were removed. This is sad, IMHO, because it prevents
>> FreeBSD from being truly free. Most of FreeBSD may be licensed
>> under the BSD License, but what good is that if one can't install
>> it on one's machine without bringing in the GPL?
>>

>The alternitve being ... ?

Microsoft, for now. It would be nice if there were a truly free
operating system that was not contaminated by the GPL.

>OpenBSD.
>Open to whom ?

Open to anyone who cares to look. It's BSD-licensed, much more so
than FreeBSD.

>> >In any case, a
>> >compiler is almost trivial; what's hard, and takes specialized
>> >knowledge, is optimizing, and code generation, for more than
>> >one CPU family.
>>
>> True.
>
>Is that true ?
>Have you tried writing one ?
>Come on,. make it public,

Sorry, but I wrote them for commercial software vendors and do not
have the rights to them. I'd love to start a project to produce a
truly free compiler, though I'd prefer it to be for a better
language than C.

>> Also true. It's amazing how often one hears RMS described as
>> a master coder, when in fact the original GCC was awful.
>>
>I have never seen RMS described so,
>He was just someone with an idea.

He was and is someone with a very deep need for revenge. Remember why
the GPL, the "GNU Project," and the FSF came about. They were
created to fulfill Stallman's desire to destroy commercial software
developers -- in particular, those who left the MIT AI Lab to form
companies. See Steven Levy's "Hackers" for the full story.

--Brett Glass