Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2014 09:39:34 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bernhard_Fr=F6hlich?= <decke@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John <freebsd-lists@potato.growveg.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org" <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: virtualbox tips for performance specific to FreeBSD-10 hosts

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 10:51 AM, John <freebsd-lists@potato.growveg.org> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> As subject, can anyone recommend any tips for getting optimum
> performance from various guests on a freebsd-10-R host? I've looked at
> the page about changing polling interval but that only applies to
> freebsd guests. I'm looking advice specifically for linux guests on this
> host. Guests are ubuntu and opensuse.
>
> Machine is a Xeon E5-2650L @ 1.80GHz with 32 cores, 192GB RAM and 10TB
> available storage on zfs.

I would not recommend using VirtualBox on such a box. VirtualBox is a Desktop
Virtualisation product and that specs are too high to make good use of them.

One issue you will run into is ZFS ARC - with that amount of memory it will take
quite some time to fill up but ZFS ARC and VirtualBox wired memory will start
fighting each other. So I recommend limiting ZFS ARC to some sane amount.
(32GB?)

VirtualBox has quite a bit more overhead than all the other server
grade virtualisation
products out there and that is especially true for I/O. With FreeBSD
10 you should
already use AHCI on the host and the linux guests will likely use an
SATA controller
and AHCI too. That should be the minimum and is also what we have already
written down in the vbox tuning notes:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox/Tuning

> No issues sofar freebsd on freebsd. Just looking for advice linux guest
> on freebsd with virtualbox. Or perhaps there's something better than
> virtualbox? Basically all guests need to be isolated from one another.
> It makes backing up and restoring systems pain-free.

So far this are the mainstream candidates:

BSD:
- BHyVe

Linux:
- KVM
- Xen

Proprietary:
- VMware ESXi
- XenServer

I have had a look at a server virtualisation product myself some months ago
and came to the conclusion that there is no painfree server virtualisation
product that is focused on ONE machine with a proper webinterface with a
reasonable easy installation and for free.

VMware ESXi came close but it fails badly with the webinterface (no I don't
consider the required 8-16GB RAM for the webinterface appropriate).

RedHats oVirt also made a good impression but I broke it within half an hour
and the webinterface never detected the nodes properly. Also oVirt really wants
you to have a dedicated storage box which I wanted to avoid. Running it all on
one machine is on their todo for years. No I don't want to run 3 boxes for two
VMs.

OpenStack was just a mess and I gave up because all the different components
didn't fit into my small head. This really looks like you want to build your own
cloud with 1000+ nodes.

There are quite a few more KVM based products out there which I didn't try
just because I gave up at that point and went with the free ESXi and a windows
VM with vSphere Client. The ones that I remember were also appropriate candiates
for my search were Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with KVM + convirt2, Proxmox or a simple
Linux distribution and shell.

So VirtualBox + phpvirtualbox does a few things very very good and I love it
for that on small boxes with light load but it's not a proper server
virtualisation
product.

What I would really like to see is a FreeNAS like appliance for virtualisation
with a webinterface and based on BHyVe. The Linux KVM stuff is not quite
there yet when it comes to "painless".

--
Bernhard Froehlich
http://www.bluelife.at/