Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2001 11:43:19 -0600
From:      seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_fxp status?

In message <5.0.0.25.0.20010307114211.0241d9e0@mail.etinc.com>, Dennis writes:
>I really dont care to ask this on the list, but DG doesnt answer my private
>emails, so I have little choice.

Yup.  None at all.  I mean, you're getting something for free, and the
people giving it away don't seem to be able to build their schedules around
your life.  I can see how you'd have no choice but to bug everyone else,
too.

Now, frankly, my response isn't a *whole* lot more useful than your message,
but hey, maybe there's an off chance that this will be the magical occasion
on which you finally *get it*.

>has any progress been made on making the if_fxp driver work with the latest
>intel NICs?

Yes.

Yes, Dennis.  We have it working.  The code is in a special branch of
the tree, which we normally don't discuss publically.  I'm just bringing
this up because I'm sick of living a lie.  We are planning to release all
the code as soon as you give up on FreeBSD and go use something else.  We
just don't *like* you.

>Its been over 3 months since the problems creeped up, and its
>becoming a serious problem explaining to potential freebsd users why is
>doesnt work.

It doesn't work because we want to keep *you* from using it.  It's a
conspiracy.

If you want it to work, pay someone to fix it.  This is how free software
*works*.  It doesn't work by means of people who don't contribute code
whining until they get what they want.  It's a *trade-off*.  If you want
service and support, go buy it.  If you want what you get for free, *TAKE*
what you get for free, and stop complaining that it's not what you'd have
wanted if you were going to pay for it.

This keeps coming up, over and over, and you just don't seem to get it.  The
FreeBSD project doesn't care what you want, or what I want, until such time as
we're contributing code.  It isn't *supposed* to care what we want.  It's
government by the people who are willing to put the time and effort in, and
complaining about how important something is *to you* doesn't count.

If you have trouble explaining to potential FreeBSD users why something
doesn't work, I suggest the following:

	It doesn't work because no one has yet wanted it enough to do it,
	or to pay for it to be done.  If you really want this, perhaps you
	should look into finding out how much it would cost, and contributing.
	If a few people shared the cost of a fairly easy piece of new code,
	it would quite likely be cheaper than buying them a Windows license
	each.

Note that you, yourself, could be one of those few people.  I would be, if I
needed the fxp driver upgraded.  :)

-s