Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:59:29 -0500
From:      Gerard Samuel <fbsd-questions@trini0.org>
To:        jason <jason@ec.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsdquestions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Determining original FBSD version

jason wrote:

> Gerard Samuel wrote:
>
>> I plan on making the move to 5.3 on boxes running 4.10
>> via a fresh install.
>> The thought came to me as to what was the original version of
>> FreeBSD did I install on those boxes.
>> Usually I upgrade the boxes via build/install world.
>> If there is way to find out, that it would be interesting to know.
>> If not, no big deal, as its an absent minded thought...
>>
>> Thanks
>>
> I think all you can do is know what version you have now(uname -a).
> Other thatn that search for the oldest file on your computer.

That gave me an idea.  I looked at the date of kernel.GENERIC, and a few
other files
in /etc.  They have a date of April 21 2001.
All I have to do to find out the exact version, is to boot the GENERIC
kernel.
I dont have a keyboard/monitor hooked up to it right now, but I'll check
it out,
before I destroy it when I install 5.3.