Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:51:46 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit"

On Monday, 22 November 1999 at 14:52:30 -0800, David Schwartz wrote:

>>> Price is one of the factors that you have to compare when you
>>> determine if something is superior or not.
>>
>> Pull the other one... we didn't just fall off the turnup truck.
>>
>> Technical superiority is independent of pricing.  Pricing is a
>> function of economies of scale and of market forebearance, and
>> has nothing whatsoever to do with technological capability.
>
> What the hell are you talking about? Are you next going to allege
> that the reason we don't all have Cray T90's is due to Microsoft
> lock in? After all, they are superior to our desktops, right?

What does this have to do with Terry's statement?

>> For example, Microsoft has dropped prices on their software in
>> some markets in order to reinforce mindshare.  Clearly, they
>> can't be selling below cost (technical term: "dumping"), since
>> that is an illegal monoply tactic.
>

> And yet it's dumping that can save us from lock in! If lock in is a
> problem, then companies should be allowed to dump to break the lock
> in. You can't have it both ways.

You certainly can't have it that way.

>>> My point is that consumers have gained the benefits of
>>> all of these products. When a competitor points out a deficiency
>>> in a Microsoft product, Microsoft acts to correct the deficiency.
>>> This is one way consumers benefit from 'failed' competition.
>>
>> You are crazy.  I _still_ can't install Windows 98/2000 onto
>> removable media because the pager can't correctly do paging on
>> removable media.
>>
>> I reported this bug in 1994, and again in 1996.
>>
>> Where is the fix?
>
> If you don't like Windows 98/2000, don't use them. Don't bang your
> head up against a wall and complain to me about it.

What does this have to do with your point?  It doesn't help to change
the subject when your point is shown to be invalid.  In case you
haven't noticed, most people on this forum *don't* use Microsoft, for
these very reasons.

>>> Please, show me the browser shootouts that conclude, "In our
>>> opinion, IE is inferior to Netscape due to its myriad security
>>> problems". Put up or shut up.
>>
>> Uh, they are called "CERT Advisories", not "shootouts"... 8-).
>
> Well, unfortunately, consumers don't always have the same priorities
> that you and I do. Yes, it's frustrating for a lot of people. But
> when what you want is not what everyone else seems to want, then
> that's what happens.

It's certainly frustrating when you change the subject when you see
you have lost.  It would be nicer if you would just shut up.

>>> I have. Remember, that was the starting point.

I think Terry meant "read them and understand them".

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.