Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 01:32:44 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of the UNIX Trademark

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> The fact is the US has one of the best university systems in the
> world, and around WW II, it also had a huge influx of some of the best
> brains from Europe, which made the US a leader in research.  This has
> nothing to do with IP; nothing in theoretical physics is protected by
> IP.  The US lead is simply because of a better infrastructure.  Even
> so, the Japanese have dominated in some markets, such as small cars
> and consumer electronics; Europe has produced some well known brands
> too (the Netherlands perhaps have more multinationals per capita than
> any other country, and incidentally they have a strong university
> system too).

You need to check the money trail.  MIT has an absolutely
*huge* patent portfolio, and gets not an insignificant amount
of its funding from patent licenses.  Last I heard, it was
in the tens of billions, and that was 5 years ago.

> The Japanese story is particularly interesting, because they made
> hardly any technological breakthroughs themselves; they took others'
> technology (like the transistor) and used it in innovative ways.

The transistor was never patented; this is because it was
disclosed more than a year before anyone thought it might
end up being anything more than a curiosity.  Bell Labs
has done a lot of that sort of thing.

> Their success owes nothing whatever to strong IP protection.  (It's
> funny that Yamaha is one of the biggest names in making classical and
> flamenco Spanish guitars today, among other musical instruments.  This
> has nothing to do with IP protection either.)  The US lead in computer
> science also has nothing to do with strong IP protection; it's because
> of its thriving university system, and many computer scientists are
> opposed to software patents.

Most computer scientst are opposed to copyright and patents
as they are applied to software because of the duration; they
are not necessarily opposed to the idea itself.  Yes, I'm aware
of Donald Knuth's state postion; I'm also aware that he owes
us 5 more books, which he has not written while futzing around
with TeX.  8-p.

Here is a good article (Australian, even):

	http://www.rhyme.com.au/gd/patents.html

-- Terry