Date:      Tue, 08 Feb 2000 14:05:20 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>
To:        Alex <bigzwirl@mail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Iomega External Zip Drive

You can put a ufs or a msdos filesystem on it.  I personally leave my Zips
formatted for msdos so I can use them on both my installed OSes (Windows and
FreeBSD).

You would mount the Zip disk with this command:

mount -t msdos /dev/wfd0c /mnt/zip

where /mnt/zip is the mount point that you want.

Use the cdrom line in the /etc/fstab file as a template for adding a line for
your ZIP.  I usually have two lines for my Zip.  One for when it's formatted
ufs (/mnt/zipu) and one for when it's formatted msdos (/mnt/zipm).

Alex wrote:

> I have an Iomega External Zip 100 and I think I've tried just about
> everything I can think of to make this thing work in FreeBSD? I've read
> the LINT and GENERIC KERNEL files and I've checked threw the handbook. Can
> you guys please explain how to make an External Zip Drive work? Does it
> have to do with the format of the zip disk?
>
>    Thanks,

PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware
schwenk@math.udel.edu                            |  (302)831-0437 <-NEW!!!