Date:      Sat, 3 Jul 1999 11:30:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Lanny Baron <lnb@freedom.cybertouch.org>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        Paul Anderson <paul@geeky1.ebtech.net>, ulairi@jps.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT vs Linux vs FreeBSD

I must disagree with you with respect to business's and the use of NT
combined with FreeBSD or with Window 9.x or MAC's. The reason is as
follows.

If I have a small office or even an office with 50+ workstations and
happen to be in the financial industry, I would want my staff to do their
work without having to spend countless hours trying to teach them FreeBSD.
If they are already comfortable with MS OFFICE or whatever MAC uses  ( I
know nothing of MAC's) then why the need for the "pain". Face it, most
people who work for organizations like banks or law firms etc; will use
windows based programs for their day to day work.

From the security standpoint, NT does offer ways in which a logon will
only let you see what ever the sys admin has allowed for a particular
user. With Win 9.x the same thing is basically do-able. However you need
to know the ins and outs of the win 9.x OS and well. The other (and really
good approach) way is to implement Samba. With Samba running, all machines
can be forced to use the same Profiles for desktops and shares can easily
be set up, allowing the System Admin to control who sees what, where and
when.

This also gives a boost for those that can "sell" their services to a firm
and thereby become the sysadmin. As we all know, you need not send a
cheque to anyone for the amount of users accessing the file server.
Windows, as I have written an article about in with respect to Samba, is
great. What I like best is that it really shows (and proves beyond a
shadow of doubt) that FreeBSD is a fantastic OS.

Going back to security for a sec. We all know how well FreeBSD works with
security. There will be no contention here for dispute.

The way I see it, is to get business IT department heads to implement
FreeBSD. In the local papers here (Toronto, Canada) recently, there have
been quite a few articles by journalists regarding linux and how "good" it
is. Some of these journalists have been criticizing the Gov't here for
needlessly spending money on Microsoft products when they could implement
linux for print and file sharing services.

In addition to FreeBSD being rock solid, it has the right to claim that it
is a one distribution OS. Unlike linux which has several.

Well, enough said on that point.

Have a great day :-)

Lanny