Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2012 01:02:50 +0000
From:      Ben Morrow <ben@morrow.me.uk>
To:        cederom@tlen.pl, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.1-RC3 LiveCD missing features

Quoth CeDeROM <cederom@tlen.pl>:

> I have tried to chceck for badblocks on my / but I did not find badblocks
> program on LiveCD and there is no option to install it. This is very useful
> utility, please add it as part of LiveCD :-)

There is no badblocks utility in the FreeBSD base system. It wouldn't be
much use with modern disks in any case, since they do automatic
bad-block mapping internally and once any bad blocks become visible the
disk is failing and you will likely see lots more very soon.

The Linux utility is available as part of the sysutils/e2fsprogs port.
If you just want to test a disk there are examples in the dd(1) manpage.

Ben