Date:      Mon, 03 Nov 1997 11:35:45 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Patrick Vierheilig <patrick@westsound.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Passwd files

Patrick Vierheilig wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> Is there an *easy* way to import a Linux p/w file to an FreeBSD p/w file
> structure?  We are moving our www server from Linux to FreeBSD due to some
> of the /better/ inherent pluses of FreeBSD.
>
> thanks,
>
> Patrick

the file in FreeBSD that you want to move them to is
master.passwd

if linux is using DES passwords,
then you need to make sure you have DES running on the FreeBSD
system too

there are 2 extra fieslds in the freebsd passwd file.

they have the values :0:0:
use awk to add them to the Linux password file.
always use vipw to edit the passwd file on freebsd..
(just type 'vipw')
(if you get 'ee' then exit, and set $EDITOR to vi)

read in the new password file you've made, and save it, then exit..