Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 1997 23:02:49 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.DIALix.COM>
To:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current users)
Subject:   Re: What's happened to nfsd and mountd?

Greg Lehey wrote:
> Peter Wemm writes:
> > David Nugent wrote:
> >>  We're suffering the same problem here. ifconfig -a shows:
> > [..]
> >
> >>  The first interface is up and operational. Nothing funky with IP
> >>  aliases on this box. Another one (with nothing but loopback and
> >>  ethernet) which *does* have several IP aliases on ed0 is using
> >>  the exact same build, but mountd/nfsd load and work fine there.
> >>
> >>  Regards,
> >>  David
> >
> > OK, time to run a quick test..  What do you guys get from this quick hack..
>
> A pointer to the problem, by the look of it:
>
> === grog@freebie (/dev/ttypa) ~/src 3 -> gma
> get_myaddress() returns 0
> sin_family = 0 (AF_INET = 2)
> sin_len = 3 (16)
> sin_port = 0
> sin_addr = 0.32.0.0
> SIOCFIGCONF used 1008 bytes of a buffer 1024 long

YIKES!  SIOCGIFCONF might be screwing up by the look of it.  Either that
or you
have records being returned that are not sizeof(ifreq) in length and the
code that is supposed to track these isn't working.  There's 16 spare
bytes coming from somewhere..

I think get_myaddress() has failed, and didn't return a failure code, so
the uninitialised data is being used..

> > One of my systems nearby uses 992 bytes of the SIOCGIFCONF 1024 byte buffer
> > (as used in get_myaddress).  It would be interesting to know what happens
> > if it is overflowing on the systems that are failing.
>
> I'd guess it's probably the wrong family.

Yes. get_myaddress() is returning a family of 0 (AF_UNSPEC), rather than
AF_INET, so it's no real suprise that it can't send to that address over a
UDP socket.

Can you give me the result of 'netstat -in' please?  I'm curious to see if
you have large <Link> entries or something on the isdn interfaces.

> Oh well, I suppose I could do that.  But do you really still think
> this is the problem?

Possibly not..

> Greg

Cheers,