Date:      Fri, 13 Jan 2012 16:59:01 -0300
From:      Fernando Gont <fernando@gont.com.ar>
To:        Nikolay Denev <ndenev@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ICMP attacks against TCP and PMTUD

Hello, Nikolay,

On 01/13/2012 12:29 PM, Nikolay Denev wrote:
> I'm now looking again at the pcap and I'm a bit confused.
> First the possible attacker sends the ICMP need-frag packets with "MTU of next hop" set to zero,
> which in 2012 shouldn't be very common?

Not just uncommon, but actually not possible (*): the minimum IPv4 MTU
is 68 bytes, so you should never see an advertised MTU smaller than
that. Furthermore, as noted by Andre, the lowest *real* MTUs are >250 bytes.

(*) IIRC, an archaic specification of the "frag needed" messages didn't
include the "Next-Hop MTU" field, which means that in *theory* (*not* in
current practice) those messages could be legitimate.

> Then when my server sends 66 byte FIN/ACK packet,
> the attacker continues to send need-frag ICMPs and the FreeBSD host sends again
> FIN/ACK packets.
> Later on he sends again ICMP need-frag packets, but with size of about 1048 bytes,
> with very large part of the original packets payload, instead of the required several bytes,
> this then triggers excessive retransmits from the FreeBSD host which generates a lot of traffic.
> The retransmits are roughly ~300-500 byte packets.

Can you post a packet trace (tcpdump's packet decode output), or send me
the trace or pcap files to me off-list, so that I can take a look and
comment?

Thanks!

Best regards,
--