Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 14:00:10 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
Cc:        Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: php not working after stopping/starting apache

* David Banning (david@skytrackercanada.com) [020405 13:41]:
> On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 01:22:42PM -0800, Benjamin Krueger wrote:
> > * David Banning (david@skytrackercanada.com) [020405 13:18]:
> > > I have an application which I wrote with php and mysql and
> > > I notice after I stop apache and reconfigure httpd.conf
> > > and then restart apache that the application will not run.
> > >
> > > To get it to run again I have to reboot the machine. Is there
> > > some process, other than apache that I have to restart for my
> > > php to run?
> >
> > There should be no other processes you have to run. Do you have php compiled
> > into apache, or are you loading it as a DSO?
>
> I am not sure.
> I think DSO. I have this module load happening in httpd.conf;
>
> <IfDefine SSL>
> LoadModule ssl_module         libexec/apache/libssl.so
> LoadModule php4_module        libexec/apache/libphp4.so
> </IfDefine>
> <IfDefine SSL>
> AddModule mod_ssl.c
> AddModule mod_php4.c
> </IfDefine>

I see what's wrong. When you're starting apache manually, you're just telling
it to start apache, but probably not with ssl. Apache won't load your php4
module unless you start with SSL, as defined by the <IfDefine SSL> tag. You
could move the PHP loadmodule's out of the IfDefine, and they will run. Or you
could start apache with 'apachectl startssl' instead of 'apachectl start'.

> How are you starting apache
> > manually, and how do you have it configured to start on boot?
>
> Do you mean how do I have php configured in httpd.conf for boot?
> I believe php starts via apache doesn't it?

Actually, I wanted to know how you have apache starting at boot from your rc
scripts. That's ok, I think we've solved the problem. =)

--
Benjamin Krueger

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about."
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)