Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 23:32:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Random disk read problems

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999, Warner Losh wrote:

:-> I've been told that 1542's do not work well with multi-user/multi-taskin
:-> g O/S's.  I'm not sure what SCSI controller you're using.  Could it be
:-> that your controller is corrupting data when it is "very" busy?

I've got two: An Adaptac 7890 Ultra II LVD built into the motherboard
that the Seagate disk is on, and an Adaptac 2940UW that the slower
devices (CD-ROM, CDR, Jazz) are on. The latter isn't involved in these
things - yet, anyway.

Bad memory seems like the best bet. The BIOS on the motherboard (a
SuperMicro S2DGU) has settings for memory checking that are disabled
(it came from the vendor that way, with FreeBSD 2.2.8 installed). Is
there any point in turning this on? Anything I can do besides buying
another DIMM to plug in to test it?

	Thanx,
	<mike