Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 2012 13:54:05 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Luan Hospodarsky <ironfall_blindguardian@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Realtek 8188ce driver

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Luan Hospodarsky
<ironfall_blindguardian@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Adrian,
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> So is there some work about it?
> It is great! If you find anything, let me know!
> Thanks again.
>
> Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 17:00:43 -0800
> Subject: Re: Realtek 8188ce driver
> From: adrian@freebsd.org
> To: ironfall_blindguardian@hotmail.com
> CC: freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
>
> Hi,
>
> I think there's been some recent work to get this chipset support into sh=
ape but I don't know wehre it lives or whether the driver is in a workable =
setup.

> Does anyone know anything further?
>

> Adrian
>
> On 29 January 2012 13:24, LuX - I like you <ironfall_blindguardian@hotmai=
l.com> wrote:

> Hello, I'm Luan and I'm a newer FreeBSD Lover.
>
> I am having a problem and I have found no answer anywhere, but I hope you=
 can give me a light.

> My notebook has an integrated wireless card (Realtek 8188ce) and the Real=
tek site provides drivers only for Windows and Linux.

> I had read the FreeBSD manual, asked for help in the forum and in the IRC=
 ##freebsd, but unfortunately nobody could help me.

> My conclusion is that such driver does not exist in FreeBSD.
>
> Is there any projects to port such driver from Linux (I guess OpenBSD has=
 that driver as well, so the porting could be less painful) or some compati=
ble driver to this device?

> Thanks in advance.
>
> ---
>
> Luan Hospodarsky
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0_______________________________________________

1. You could try ndis. It did not work for me, but a patch to ndis
looks like it may have fixed the problem.

2. The other option is to replace the card. What brand of laptop is
it? Levovo locks down the wireless and will not boot with any card but
one they sold. I believe HP does the same. I had to buy a card with
the Lenovo PCI ID to get it to work. I found it from a place that was
in Germany,  but the card was shipped from Tel Aviv.  It cost about 3
times what a generic Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 would have cost.
:-(

You might be able to re-write the PCI ID on a standard Intel card, but
I could not figure out how to do it. You can also patch the BIOS, but
that make future BIOS upgrades a real problem.

3. Write a driver
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com