Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:00:48 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tracking release notes...

--==_Exmh_-1110803520P

If memory serves me right, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> Okay, I imagine this seems like a dumb question, but how does one
> track the release notes in "stable"?  I was thinking I would look
> over the release notes for what will become 4.4-release, and it
> occurred to me that I have no idea how to do that...

Not a dumb question...it's a little different that what we've had for
prior releases.

> Do I have to be up-to-date with stable (ie, installworld) to find
> out the snapshot of release notes for it, or can I get at those
> thru the freebsd web site?  I looked around a bit at the web site,
> but didn't find the notes which would match -stable.

The release notes (and the other release documentation usually referred
to as RELNOTESng) aren't installed with an installworld, although they
are rendered in TXT and HTML with a "make release".

For the time being, you can read snapshots of the release documentation
at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes/

You can get more info about building them yourself at
src/release/doc/README.

The eventual hope is to get the snapshots of the -CURRENT and 4-RELEASE
release documentation built as a part of the Web site build.  This
isn't hard, and a lot of the infrastructure is in place to do it
already.  Just waiting for "someone" (who is, like many of us, overly
busy) to finish it off.  I'm going to gently ping that someone...it'd
be great to have this in place before 4.4-RELEASE.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1110803520P

--==_Exmh_-1110803520P--