Date:      Tue, 8 Mar 2011 09:51:22 -0500
From:      Michael Scheidell <michael.scheidell@secnap.com>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Superfluous dependencies

On 3/8/11 4:42 AM, Hans Ottevanger wrote:
> One of them that I already hunted down is bison-2.4.3,1 that gets
> dragged in via gobject-introspection-0.9.12_1 when installing
> xorg-7,5.1 (even as a package). This is caused by bison specified as a
> dependency of type "both" in the port Makefile of
> gobject-introspection where it should be specified as "build". I don't
> think that Bison is used on run-time here and most likely not even on
> build- time.
appears one of our 'short cuts' causes this.  and I found it on a port I
took over maint of.

happens all the time if you do a 'RUN_DEPENDS += BUILD_DEPENDS'

pulls in all kind of cruft.

example: tshark_lite.. pulls in pkg_conf.. makes it messy if you make a
port binary package, and try to install it with pkg_add {port}.tbz.

lots of ports used that short cut above.  and it should not (and I think
port lint complains)

Q: wireshark/tshark_lite maintainer: do you really need perl for
runtime? or just to build tshark_lite?

I installed it with pkg_add -f tshark_lite and never needed it (and
system didn't have perl)

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
 >*| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008