Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 15:21:48 +0100 (BST)
From:      Julian <julian@ivision.co.uk>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hans@artcom.de, julian@ivision.co.uk, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 12.0 GB Quantum Bigfoot TX IDE seen as 8.4 GB

> Erhm, this is not in the 2.2-stable charter folks, the patches that
> should go into 2.2-stable should only be bugfixes etc, the next thing
> is that somebody wants the SMP code into 2.2-stable...
> There has to be a line drawn somewhere....

Err, it isn't worth arguing the point, but this _is_ a bug as far as I
am concerned.  I can't specify the CHS setup I need to use this drive,
I get errors with this drive attatched.  I cannot format the drive
correctly, I cannot use the drive correctly.  Why not?  Because LBA
is broken on 2.2.  I'd call that a bug.

I appreciate, and approve of FreeBSD's attitude to implementing things
slowly, and more cautiously as compared to Linux, but sometimes
you seem over cautious to me.

I now have a Hans Huebner's patch, and will be applying this sometime
soon, so to an extent I am not fussed.  I just don't entirely agree with
where the line has been drawn in this case.

Julian
Unix Admin, Internet Vision