Date:      Tue, 06 Apr 1999 23:01:54 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 upgrade - need urgent help

"Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> What is the syntax for the /boot/kernel.conf file?

     Try "/boot/loader.rc", with (for example):

	load /kernel
	load -t userconfig_script /kernel.config
	autoboot

You may want to replace "load /kernel" with "load /kernel.GENERIC".  The
file, "/kernel.config", contains (for example) lines like:

    pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x220 irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5 port1 0x330 port2 0x388
    pnp 1 1 os enable port0 0x208
    pnp 1 2 os enable port0 0x620 port1 0xa20 port2 0xe20

(strip leading spaces.)  The above is for an AWE64 PNP card.

     Note that using the filename, "/boot/boot.conf", instead of
"/boot/loader.rc", will also work, but is deprecated.

> I have to reenable ed0 in kernel.GENERIC. It's really odd that
> kernel.GENERIC does not have CLI or any config option built
> in.

     IIRC, you should be able to hit the spacebar (or any other key)
during the startup boot delay to access the new boot loader command
prompt.  At this point, you should be able to type "boot -c" to access
the old-style boot config process (this is deprecated -- I think any
changes made here are not saved).  This is also dependent upon the old
boot menu being present in kernel.GENERIC (I think it is).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.