Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 1995 11:48:53 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        nathan@netrail.net (Nathan Stratton)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't boot

Nathan Stratton stands accused of saying:
> I just installed FreeBSD 2.0.5 on a P133 wiht 64 megs RAM and a Adaptec
> 2940 PCI SCSI card. The install went great but when it rebooted it gave
> me Default: F? and would not let me hit F1 like it did on other server I
> installed FreeBSD on. How can I get pass this? Can I use the boot disk

You specified the wrong geometry for the disk when you installed.  The
partitions on the disk aren't where they should be.

You _MUST_ specify geometry that matches the BIOS geometry as reported by
the controller, during the installation process.  If you fail to do this,
the BIOS can't find the beginning of the BSD partition, and you will be
unable to boot.

> Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Your Gateway to the World!

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[