Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2012 22:07:01 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <ateve@sohara.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: root filesystem and soft-update

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 16:50:42 -0500
Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I remember one time seeing a site that explained why soft-updates was
> not enabled for the root filesystem.  I tried looking for it earlier,
> but failed to locate it.  Is there someone who knows where it is?

	No idea about where it is, but I can recall the reasons.

	The root filesystem is often quite small and the delay in space
freed by deletions could cause the filesystem to fill up during an update
resulting in a failed update and a partially hosed root filesystem (not
inconsistent, just incomplete - but if it's /bin/sh that's gone it could be
tricky recovering).

	The other reason is that softupdates is about optimising write
performace, and the root filesystem shouldn't be getting many writes in
normal use so softupdates is of no benefit.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <ateve@sohara.org>