Date:      Sat, 20 May 1995 17:47:49 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@iquest.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com, stephen@belgarath.it.com.au
Subject:   Re: Large IDE drives in ISA machines

> Is it possible to use a large (850meg) IDE drive in an ISA machine under
> FreeBSD?

Its trivial. Just plug it in, partition, install. Keep MS-DOG below 500M.
If its not trivial, then I was just darn lucky with my Maxtor 850. Have
not had one iota of trouble from the 950412-SNAP.

Ok, I lied above. Every couple of days I get a "lnc0: Missed Packet --
no receive buffer". Big Fat Hairy Deal. Probably has something to do with
64M swap and only 8M core.

Is there any adantage to buying a "real" EIDE controller? Its funny how on
another FreeBSD machine with a $15 IDE controller and a 485M HD, the IDE
controller can't figure out when to turn the HD LED on/off right. Linux
had no problem. DOS had no problem. FreeBSD & this controller just couldn't
get it right. Again, Big Fat Hairy Deal. FreeBSD pushed data thru 3x
faster than Linux (w/o EIDE driver) or the AMI HD Setup BIOS routine.

David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@iquest.com
The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its capacity
-- the rest is overhead for the operating system.