Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 00:42:45 -0500
From:      "Victor R. Cardona" <vcardona@home.com>
To:        krisno pryosusilo <krisnop@ozemail.com.au>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Linux & Msdos file sharing?

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 10:21:48AM +1000, krisno pryosusilo wrote:
> I have read somewhere, of the ability for FreeBSD and Linux to mount a MSDOS
> slice in read/write mode, however FreeBSD and Linux  are only able to read
> and not write.
> Does this also mean that if I wish to make a FreeBSD file server, I can
> interoperate fully with Windows, but at this stage I can't with Linux?.

Both Linux and FreeBSD can mount FAT16 and FAT32 filesystems in
read-write mode. I know that Linux can also mount NTFS filesystems in
read-only mode. I do not know about FreeBSD.

As far as file servers are concerned, you would probably use Samba to
provide the SMB/CIFS support on the FreeBSD or Linux box. That would
allow Windows machines to map network drives over to the server.

HTH,
-v
--
Victor R. Cardona
vcardona@home.com

                "Behold the keyboard of Kahless, the greatest Klingon
                  code warrior that ever lived!"