Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 1995 15:58:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        phk@critter.tfs.com, bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG, scrappy@hub.org
Subject:   Re: cd /usr/src/lib; make depend...Fails

> There are some sources that attempt to be compatible with the last 25
> versions of FreeBSD and/or NetBSD using __FreeBSD__ or a private version
> identifier.  E.g., pcvt, sound and several other isa drivers.  For these
> the "vendor" code already has __FreeBSD__ ifdefs and would break if we
> cleaned things up.

Well, we could clean them up to the extent that the versions that get checked
out into our src tree are completely FreeBSD specific and still be able to
merge in differences with new releases through the vendor branch.

Ok, that might be more work than is worth it. I'm kind of wondering now
though. Either the sources are not externally maintained, in which case
we can consider them our own and forget about using __FreeBSD__ switches
or it is externally maintained, in which case it'll support many systems and
the switches will be necessary. Which means, either we import with the
switches and make sure they work, or we import and then patch to work in our
current tree with all the multiple OS code ripped out.

The latter seems the neatest from our src tree point of view but the former
is certainly the easiest to maintain and makes it easier to ensure the
external package has correct FreeBSD support.

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)