Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 02:21:13 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Jukka Simila <juksi@iname.com>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        m l mack <mlmack@speakeasy.org>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, Gail Pickett <gmpicket@icx.net>
Subject:   Re: newbies

On 17-Apr-00 Doug Young wrote:
[snip]
> people already familiar with some breed of unix  .... manpages are generally
> useless
>  ..... eg WTF are those lines of rubbish at the start for ??, and they
> rarely if ever
> provide ALL the info one needs
I've found manpages very good source: I just use the search function very
often, so I don't need to read all the stuff there is.

[snip]
> Printing appears to be another of the unbelievable weirdnesses endemic to
> the
> unixes ..... I've always believed that ghostscript was the most complicated
> way
> possible the geeks could devise of doing the job.
I agree, I made my printer work as a line printer, and it printed PostScript as
well (In fact I like ghostscript) but I neverever made it to print graphics,
like gifs and such, not even mentioning in color.

> Actually I never use FreeBSD
> in GUI mode as I don't like the amateurish KDE
I found recently this quite good-looking thingie, xfce. It is very light and
doesn't core dump ever. Thou it isn't exactly what I want, I would vote it as a
'default FreeBSD X environment' , if just someone would make a default
background and a list of default packages..

> ... I prefer Solaris / CDE
> for anything but gateway use, and there is a quite nice printing application
> for it (and also for FreeBSD as I recall) available from 'www.cups.org".
> I've found the CUPS stuff quite straightforward to configure and its
> certainly
> light years ahead of that unintelligible ghostscript stuff :)

Well.. you would still need to use ghostscript with xfce.. :|

Jukka Simila