Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:45:31 +0100
From:      Kaya Saman <kayasaman@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   jabberd port doesn't come with any certificates and is not allowing authorization?

Hi,

I've recently built the jabberd port and upgraded to the latest version: 2.x

I'm having major problems in configuring it though and was wondering
if someone could either give me a hand or help me generate
certificates for it which are mentioned in the config file but not
within the /usr/local/etc/jabberd directory.

I'm experiencing this issue:

Mar 29 16:33:48 JABBER jabberd/c2s[1498]: [8] [10.0.0.10, port=59032] connect
Mar 29 16:33:48 JABBER jabberd/c2s[1498]: [8] got pre STARTTLS packet, dropping
Mar 29 16:33:48 JABBER jabberd/c2s[1498]: [8] [10.0.0.10, port=59032]
disconnect jid=unbound, packets: 1

This is my realm information:

    <id realm='jabber.com'
        pemfile='/usr/local/etc/jabberd/server.pem'
        verify-mode='0'
        cachain='/usr/local/etc/jabberd/client_ca_certs.pem'
        require-starttls='false'
        register-enable='true'
        instructions='Enter a username and password to register with
this server.'
        register-oob='http://srv.jabber.com/register'
        password-change='true'
    >jabber.com</id>
    <!-- or the default host
    <id password-change='mu' /> -->

jabber.com may publicly exist however, this is a trial done in Vbox
and totally offline just so I can understand the necessary mechanisms
involved as to learn how the jabberd server functions!

I'm using Pidgin as the IM client who is configured like:

Username: user
Domain: jabber.com
Password: <secret>
Local Alias: user_alias
Use encrypted connections if available
Allow plaintext auth over unencrypted streams
Connect server: srv.jabber.com

On the client I keep getting: "Policy Violation" error.

It's really weird but there seems to be a lack of documentation as I
managed to find the stuff for jabberd version 1.4, for version 2.x
I've followed some URL's:

http://www.jms1.net/jabberd2/

http://www.indiangnu.org/2009/how-to-configure-jabber-jabberd2-with-mysqlpam-as-auth-database/

http://bionicraptor.co/2011/07/25/how-to-encrypt-jabberd2-communications/

http://bionicraptor.co/2011/05/20/how-to-install-and-configure-japperd2-with-mysql/

But still nothing is working, I believe it's to do with the security
as in using encrypted or unencrypted connections but I can't be
certain... there doesn't seem to be any mysql DB creation script
either that I could find??

Is there a fix or am I stuck??

Regards,

Kaya