Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:45:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.chuckr.org>
To:        FreeBSD-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   multiple scsi busses

I just had quite a fright, and I'd appreciate a bit of advice before I
stick my neck out again.

I have an Intel DK440LX board, which has a dual bussed 7895 on it.  I
added an adaptec 29160, so the 29160 came up as ahc2 (the dual bussed 7895
being ahc0 and ahc1).  Fright was when I accidentally set the 29160 up to
use it's bios (like the 7895 was).  Suddenly, no scsi drive would boot.

An hour later (after testing every cable connection and losing some hair I
couldn't really afford to lose) I set the bios setting on the 29160 off,
and I could boot again.  Can anyone explain in a bit of detail just what I
did wrong, or why it was so wrong?  I want, ultimately, to have a drive
hung off the 29160 to boot (and there will be 2 drives on the 29160) so I
have to understand what I'm doing a bit better, in getting ahc0-2 to
compatibly coexist.

Thanks!

Chuck Robey             | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.chuckr.org| electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.