Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 19:51:37 -0700
From:      Jack Rusher <jar@integratus.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SANs, disks, & devfs

Matthew Jacob wrote:

> As a taste test, how would modifying mount to understand WWNs && serial
> numbers and do the appropriate translation to get the current 'da' instance
> number feel for people? This way, you might have something like
>
> fcwwn@0x21000020370752ba,0      /       ufs     rw      1       1
> scsidsn@"LAE84063",0            /space  ufs     rw      0       0
>
> Thoughts?

  If something is going to be modified to understand this, I would
like it to be vinum.  Most of my uses for FCAL attached storage
involve some form of volume management.

  This approach does, of course, bring up the notion of a /devfs
directory that contains the real disk information and a set of links
in /dev (or /dev/dsk) that map the common names to the right
devices.  One of the big wins of using links to do this is that
moving the disks around won't change where they appear in the
/dev/da[0..N] namespace.

  Solaris style boot -r, anyone?

--
Jack Rusher, Senior Software Engineer | mailto:jar@integratus.com