Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2001 17:26:07 +0900
From:      shudo@computer.org
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: FreeBSD Foundation Announces Java License for FreeBSD

Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com> wrote:

> The FreeBSD Foundation is pleased to announce that it has secured a
> license from Sun Microsystems to distribute a native FreeBSD version of
> both the Java Development Kit (JDK) and the Java Runtime Environment (JRE).
> Thanks to the great efforts of the FreeBSD Java team, these should be
> available for inclusion with the upcoming release of FreeBSD 4.5 in
> January, 2002.

Several questions come to my mind.

- Which version of Java 2 SDK will be released
  in a binary form with FreeBSD 4.5?
  I guess 1.3.1p5, p6 or p7 can be a likely candidate.
  How about Native Threads and HotSpot VMs?

- How is the compatibility test with the JCK progressing?
  The binary being released will have to pass the JCK.
  Is this assumption correct?

> This agreement would not have been possible without the efforts of Nate
> Williams.  Nate not only started the FreeBSD Java porting effort, but
> also brought Sun Microsystems and the Foundation together to negotiate a
> license.

We'd appreciate all involved in this present.

  Kazuyuki Shudo	shudo@computer.org	http://www.shudo.net/