Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 00:53:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is the technique described in this article do-able with

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Darren Reed wrote:

> In some mail from Brett Glass, sie said:
> >
> > http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1824/sam0201d/0201d.htm
>
> I believe that when you "halt" FreeBSD the whole OS halts.
> When you see the "press any key to rebot" message, no more
> activity is happening.

true.. i don't think any of the BSDs will respond, since the kernel is
only waiting for a keystroke to restart. to me this may be less secure
than just having the machine fully up and running.

> One question though, how do you generate log information?

if the OS is still passing packets, you could easily have it set to output
all log info to a serial port. this may, or may not, work even in linux.
of course, you may not care about log info.

> Personally, I think of this as a 'misfeature'.

i wouldn't put it that far down, just yet. i don't see how much of an
advantage it would be over a fully operational box, on the other hand.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche